Join Us on Our Journey

Join us on our journey to Cambodia! Don't panic, we aren't asking you to literally join us as we embark on a journey to Cambodia (although we wouldn't reject any offers ;-) Rather, we hope you will join us by following this blog in the years to come as we seek to glorify God by traveling almost 10,000 miles around the world to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a Kingdom that is in desperate need of hope.

Friday, February 8, 2013

The Nuts and Bolts

One of mine and Blake's favorite things to do is to start a building project.  We have many inside jokes that come up as we cruise the aisles of Lowes looking for exactly what we need.  Blake is not good on following the instructions that I carefully printed off of Pinterest.  He always thinks we can make it better or says "surely they didn't mean to make it that small." (And let's not even talk about those "extra parts" that come with every purchase that requires assembly) So we have some things in our house that have many memories because of the labor that we spent in not only building but in planning.  At times these plans seemed like they would not ever come together.  And we have often been left with the thought of "now where can we put this since it is larger than we anticipated?"

(Here is an example of the "small" hope chest that Blake built me, it fits 2 of our children.  We often refer to this as the coffin but please, oh please, do not let Blake bury me in this like he has often joked.)
 photo image_zps3b408ce0.jpg
As we have felt God leading us to move our family to Cambodia, we have a huge project ahead of us.  There is lots of planning.  We have searched the internet for others who are there.  We have studied their newsletters, read every blog entry, and have begun to put our own plans into place.  We have learned from others but we also know that our family is unique and we will have to make their journey more suitable for our needs.

With a well thought out plan in mind (and a flow chart to prove it!), our first step will be to take a survey trip in May 2013 in order to give 5 of us (the 2 younger kids will not be going) the opportunity to see the country, experience the culture, and survey the mission opportunities (plus meet the Trotters who were the ones we have stalked in this process of preparing).  We are currently gathering supplies for this first step.  Our venture this time does not bring us to the aisles of Lowes, but to you, our friends and family.

The total cost of this trip is right under $11,000.  Here is a breakdown of that expense:

Flights (for 5)            $6,500
Travel Insurance          $725
Lodging                        $350
Food                            $830
E. Cambodia Survey$1,100
Transportation             $500
Visa/Tax                      $225
Misc. Expenses          $450
________________________________
Total                        $10,680

We are asking that you pray for us as we go.  We believe that what the Apostle Paul wrote in Philippians 4:10-19 to be true in our life.  "Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.  I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction.You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone; for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs. Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account. But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God. And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen."

I know that God will supply all of our needs for this trip.  We give Him the glory for that.  As you pray for us, if you feel that you want to be a part of what God is doing in Cambodia by helping to support us, you may make contributions here.

I am sure as this project begins to be put together, we will often have times of questioning how all the pieces will come together.  But I also trust that when we are finishing up, we will look around and wonder where to put it because God made it bigger than we expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment